Friday, January 23, 2015

My Geometric Noro Cowl




Although the end of January is approaching I am still quite motivated to knit some great hats and cowls. Our weather is not particularly cold now but it is still cool enough to warrant hats, cowls, scarves and gloves.



I have been doing a bit of colour work in my knitting lately. I sure love playing with colours. I espied some  Noro Silk Garden Solo awhile back and it has been percolating in the back of my brain since. I wanted to try a different technique than intarsia or fair isle knitting.  I saw a pattern for a cowl using a similar slip stitch  technique and thought it would work for the effect I wanted So I thought well just go for it. Hence my Geometric Cowl.

 For this cowl I used Noro Silk Garden Solo ( a tonal solid} with some Noro Silk Garden. The trick in getting the colours to pop is to find colours that contrast not compete with each other. I love how the colours transition in the squares. When I first finished I had just knit the geometric patterned side seen in the picture above. When I tried it on you could see all the inside of  the cowl and it wasn't too prett,  So I kept knitting and basically knit a facing for it. It now has the added bonus of being reversible.



I ran out of the main colour so kept knitting with the rest of the Silk Garden I used for the squares. It turned out great!  ( I cant get my photo to rotate). It was fun to do and I do love me some Noro!





I am totally smitten with Amaryllis, So I had to, just had to knit another!  I used Tosh Vintage in Silverfox, Nassau Blue, Coquette and Iris for this one. The colours are a lot more vibrant than what my pic shows. I love knitting this pattern and I can see myself cranking out a few more. It will be a veritable knit bouquet! Lol!!



On the soup front I made a big pot of vegetable soup this past week-actually while we were watching that football game- you know that big upset win by the ....Seahawks.  I often make this vegetable soup , It is actually a super easy veggie alphabet soup you can make with your kids. I added some chopped up turkey chorizo sausage  to give it a little extra flavour and protein. I also made some bread to go with it. Its a recipe from.. you guessed it, my squash cookbook. It is made with whole wheat flour, cooked oatmeal, roasted pureed kabocha squash and sunflower seeds. Sounds kinda weird but it is actually really really good. Who'd a thunk it? No I am not bored these winter days I am just on a bit of a cooking roll right now  :) That's my story and I am stickin to it!

 I am on Instagram now. I am Chrissyknitz! I was told that's what"s what now. Whom am I to argue! Come visit me and I can visit you!

Canada Geese on a cold winter's day

Keep warm and well and above all keep smiling!

Chris

22 comments:

  1. I LOVE this cowl !!! So well knitted !!!! For sure your hat is great and I understand you love it ! Have a lovely and creative week end !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Géraldine! I am starting a third hat if you can believe it!

      Delete
  2. The cowl looks great especially with that lovely coat. Like you I'm doing a lot of cooking and I just made some bread and red lentil curry soup today. Sorry I doubt I will join up on Instagram. Just too much to do these days and one more social media outlet will eat up more of the limited time. Gosh I'm already far behind! LOL. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much a Penny! Your soup sounds delicious and lentils are super good for you. I know all this social media is a bit busy, I have a hard enough time composing a blog post! Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Can I just come sit next to you and absorb your knitting mojo and creativity? You are brilliant? I love the cowl. Yummy soup my friend. Is everyone on Instagram but me?
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be so much fun if we could sit together and do some knitting and chatting! I am a bit of a talker and don't always get a lot done when I am with friends lol. I think IG is a lot quicker and easier for me but we will see how long I last!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic cowl! I'm a big Noro fan too, but don't actually knit with it that often. You should write up your pattern and put it on Ravelry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so much Kristie. My cowl is based on a pattern called Tuhu on Rav. I made some modifications and knit a facing for it. I am really bad about writing stuff down, I have the mistaken belief I will remember what I did!

      Delete
  5. Love that cowl! I just recommended your blog to another gardener who also knits. :) I make soup a lot in the winter, too. I just throw stuff in a pot and it's tasty. Except for the boot. That was a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a refined and educated palette appreciates the subtleties of simmered boot. Pity really. Sniff sniff. Thanks for recommending me , i will try to be on my best behaviour henceforth!

      Delete
  6. I like the cowl, Chris. The colours and pattern are great, just the thing for coziness on a grey day. Followed by the food you showed, of course!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I am sure enjoying your Sunlit Sunday posts!

      Delete
  7. That cowl is like a piece of art and if I was ever to make something that beautiful I would frame it! No joke your skills knock me over every time buddy! Holy Cow! The pattern is outstanding!!! And thank you for the soup recipe....I just pinned it so that I can give it a try this week! Wishing you an outstanding weekend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you give that soup a try , it's easy and very tasty! Thanks for your lovely comments , you are a sweetie!

      Delete
  8. The cowl is stunning, a real delight beautiful colours. The soup and bread also look good, you can't beat soup for a warming meal. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much for stopping by and leaving me such a lovely message! Soup and fresh bread is the best winter meal!

      Delete
  9. Your cowl is beautiful isn't it!! I love the colours and the lining/reversibility too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. When I first finished it I didn't know if it was a good idea or a meh idea. I wore it today and it was really warm . Noro yarn is awesome I love the colours.

      Delete
  10. Lovely cowls and a great match for the coat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a bunch Gillian, I didn't even notice it matched my sweater coat till later! My friend pointed it out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great cowl, and I love that it's reversible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your solution to the cowl is so clever. And the colors really do popl

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs